Modify relief shader code for greyscale input

electronicfox

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 10:38 am

Hi, hoping someone can help me with this.

Im integrating the relief shader code created by Eideran on Unity forums, but I want to modify it to accept a greyscale input instead of sampler2d. I know I need to change the input itself to Float, but I dont know what to change in the code itself to make it work.

Image
User avatar
nuFF3
Location: Hell

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 1:08 pm

I've been using this code snippet for almost 2 years, I've always wanted to change the way the code works but that requires knowledge of shader programming and cg.
I posted about this shader a while back --> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1975

I've never been able to wrap my head around it in order to change it.
electronicfox

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 2:25 pm

nuFF3 wrote:I've been using this code snippet for almost 2 years, I've always wanted to change the way the code works but that requires knowledge of shader programming and cg.
I posted about this shader a while back --> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1975

I've never been able to wrap my head around it in order to change it.


Glad Im not the only one stumped on this! My programming skills are virtually nonexistent (hence my use of a visual shader editor). This relief effect is by far better looking than the usual parallax effect in Unity. If I can get this code switched out then I can use it with blending materials!
User avatar
nuFF3
Location: Hell

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 4:11 pm

I know, same here.
But if you want the same sort of POM shader built into the shader editor (as a node), then I'd go buy Amplify. Not an endorsement or advert for it.
It functions virtually the same as Shader Forge, except for its Unreal engine theme and the fact that it has more specialized nodes, POM and the likes.

I use both shader editors, I like the workflow of Shader Forge better, but for specialized stuff like POM I use Amplify.
electronicfox

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 5:07 pm

nuFF3 wrote:I know, same here.
But if you want the same sort of POM shader built into the shader editor (as a node), then I'd go buy Amplify. Not an endorsement or advert for it.
It functions virtually the same as Shader Forge, except for its Unreal engine theme and the fact that it has more specialized nodes, POM and the likes.

I use both shader editors, I like the workflow of Shader Forge better, but for specialized stuff like POM I use Amplify.



I've been considering Amplify for a while, not to replace Shader forge (I love the tool, amazing shaders I can make as an artist, and not a programmer never cease to amaze me) but to supplement it.
User avatar
nuFF3
Location: Hell

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 8:15 pm

electronicfox wrote:I've been considering Amplify for a while, not to replace Shader forge (I love the tool, amazing shaders I can make as an artist, and not a programmer never cease to amaze me) but to supplement it.

Anything made in SF can be made in Amplify, and (mostly) anything made in Amplify can be made in SF.
They just have a few differences in workflow, and some specialized nodes.

Return to “Questions”



Who is online

Online users: No registered users and 1 guest