Will Shaderforge no longer work in Unity 2018?

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
crazyfingers
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

PostTue May 01, 2018 9:15 am

I've been developing my project with Shader Forge for over 2 years with months of work into custom particle, environment, fog, NPC shaders, and material setups.

Will Shader Forge no longer work with future releases of Unity? Will we have to start from scratch with the comparatively limited new Unity Shader Graph if we wish to continue staying current with Unity and use the new nested prefabs and other features?

I'm pretty stressed right now as the tech artist on this project.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, i've had nothing but praise for this tool from the start, really hoping our project with years of investment isn't plunged into jeopardy because shader forge is no longer relevant in 2018.

Edit: Shader Forge has been an amazing tool for a long time and has served me well for years and maintained by a single person which is remarkable. I'm going to take a deep breath. What Unity is doing with their render pipeline is out of Holmér's hands and this is just the nature of our industry.

Curious what our options are in the near future as 2018 starts rolling out (can we ignore the render pipeline entirely?), but not optimistic at this point. I guess worst case scenario I'll hunker down and translate our materials and shaders over to Amplify.
FardinHaque

PostFri May 11, 2018 3:14 pm

Well for unity 2018.1 you have to download a github version which is currently under opensource development. It doesn't work right now and sends bunch of errors (as it's still under development), but lets hope that they will fix it eventually.
You should check this out https://github.com/jackisgames/ShaderForge
Tapperson

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 11:51 am

That's good news, Fardin. I'm sure the good people on github will get this working eventually. I'd pitch in if I was skilled enough to help with that.

Return to “General Discussion”